Friday, January 7, 2011

Yule, New Years, and so much more!



Its been some time since I last posted, I blame traveling around the sky, it gets so hectic sometimes.
Since All Hallows the Yule has passed and so has the New Year, its now 2011.
My resolutions:
I quit smoking.
I am growing my hair down to my hips.
And, I am planning on getting back into college.

Wish me luck.

Not much has happened really, just traveling around a bit still, having adventures with friends, stealing goblin gold, and running from orcs. The usual fun stuff. I feel bad so I am going to leave you with my favorite gems from 2010 [and perhaps a few that are still precious to me, even after long discovering them]


Music:
The Green Children, I really am falling in love with their music. Its poppish, but still has that fantasy quality to it.
Hannah Fury, an unknown gem. I stumbled upon her only recently. Her music is very chilling, hunting even, and twisted. But its so relaxing, it took me a few listens to realize the lyrics are grotesque.
Celtic! Any Celtic music in general has been catching my ear. It all has that fantasy type sound to it. I suppose because it comes from the lands where fairy tales run wild and rule the minds and imaginations of the towns people.


Movies:
The Imaginarium of Dortor Parnassus - an amazing mix of fantasy and human psychology. Loved the Faustian influence, and the struggles of love and morals. Amazing storyline.
Alive in Wonderland- I just like looking at Mr. Depp dressed like that and giggling. Amzing make up for all the actors/actresses really.
Kamikaze Girls- I love the story between the two, and Anna Tsuchiya is in it, which I adore. always a favorite gem.
The Great Yokai War, now this was a new one for me. I had always heard of it, and about it but never got the chance to sit down and watch it till about late 09. Yes I still consider it new to me. Its cute, and full of fantasy. Great for those who love Japanese mythology and folklore.
The Prestige, because who doesn't love magic, and Bowie...no this is not the Labyrinth, there will be no dancing in tight pants. BUT, Bowie does play Tesla. He played the part very well, I didn't realize it was him till I saw the credits! CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT! An old favorite, but a wonderful watch as always.
Bridge To Terabithia, another movie I heard alot about that I got around to watching down the road. This one was cute, had wonderful actors, and made me cry. It was a touching story based off a novel I still haven't gotten the chance the read. I need to get around to that. I think what struck me so hard with this one was Leslie, this character reminded me oh so much of myself as a child. Running around in the wooded area in the park as a child, pretending there was a secret world there. Even after I left the city, I was still pretending in the woods with Mark. The idea of letting your imagination run wild, thats what got to me. It was like looking at an alternate reality me.
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium, can you say one of the cutest, sweetest, most fun movies ever. Aside from the fact that I am a huge N. Portman fan, I love movies like this. Ones that have a magical place fueled by imagination. I really do believe imagination is the greatest thing one can have. That it fuels everything and anything about you. So this movie was an instant fave, plus, just watching it made you feel magical!
Tinker Bell, the new Disney movie. Yeah Im not much of a Disney fan, but this was too cute to ignore. Plus it was named after and based on the one Disney character I always liked. And the one I was nick named after.

Books
Courtney Crumrin series. Really, one of the most wonderful set of comics I have had the pleasure to read. Alternative, and family friendly. The adventures of a young girl in the human and magical worlds. Her discovering goblins, and more! Changelings galore! But none of that wishy washy happy ending junk. These comics are kinda dark, but with a sort of hidden mel'rose. They have their sweet points, def something for the kids.
Sherlock Holmes, If I need to explain this one, then there is something greatly wrong with the world!
Hans Christian Anderson Fairy tales, because who doesn't love fairy tales, I thought it was blatantly obvious that I do. My favorite story by him is The Little Match Girl, its so sad, but the most realistic of them all. I have a thing for stories that can reach out and invoke emotion in me. Another favorite would be The Nightingale, its beautifully written, and just wonderfully relaxing to read. Most of his stories are very sweet to read. They have a bit more human quality to them than those of the Grimm fairy tales, and are a bit happier.
The Brothers Grimm fairy tales, because they are instant classics.

[I actually have just received for the Yule from my grandmother leather bound complete works of both Hans Christian Anderson, Sherlock Holmes and the Brothers Grimm. Wonderful additions to my library.]

Also, one last note. Who went out into the cold to watch the eclipse this past December? Did you know that that was the first time in almost 300 years that there was an eclipse during the Yule moon! An absolutely beautiful site it was. I went with two of my friends, we huddled up near the bay and watched from start to finish in the freezing cold.

That is all for now my dears. Take care~ Be safe~ And jump from star to star carefully!

-F.


No comments:

Post a Comment